At Kangaroo Island Samuel Stephens is gradually settling into a routine, although his habit of rising well before 6 am in the middle of winter cannot endear him to his men. He sends the company stock off to good grazing land near the Salt Lagoon, and selects a portion of land for a more permanent [...]
Your search for 'labour' found:
Weekly Posts related to: labour
On Kangaroo Island The fledgling settlement on Kangaroo Island is now into its third week and it is not a happy place. Samuel Stephens and Captains Morgan and Ross are increasingly anxious about their failure to find an adequate supply of fresh water nearby. Both the Duke of York and the Lady Mary Pelham need to replenish [...]
Many of this week’s diary entries make reference to work onboard. This week we look at the different jobs that were required to enable these ships to set sail. There were always jobs to be done, some of which were paid and others unpaid. Captain Morgan makes reference to workers who were refusing to continue with their jobs [...]
Sign up for email updates:
View weekly posts by topic
View journal extracts by ship:
View journal extracts by person:
- Pam said I've also been researching these brothers. After...
- Allison said Thanks for the information, Diane. We'll look i...
- Allison said Thanks for the information, Judy. Cheers, Alliso...
- Judith said Chris. are you aware of the Alford American Family...
- Don Hennig said I need the details of how to obtain your book plea...
3 months ago
3 months ago
8 months ago