As the Duke of York nears the Equator the crew hopes to have a bit of fun. Crossing the Line ceremonies were common on sailing vessels and often involved ‘King Neptune’ coming on board to ‘baptise’ first timers. Crew members and passengers might be ‘shaved’ with big mock razors and all by-standers were often doused with water. But [...]
Your search for 'piracy' found:
Briefly about the piracy:
By the 1830s, the ‘golden age’ of piracy had passed. The power of the feared Barbary corsairs, pirates operating off the north African coast, was waning. Many Caribbean buccaneers, based in the West Indies, had moved from preying on Spanish shipping to involvement in the slave trade, a trade which by the 1830s was illegal [...]Read more about the piracy
Posts related to: piracy
Sign up for email updates:
View weekly posts by topic
View journal extracts by ship:
View journal extracts by person:
- Pam said I've also been researching these brothers. After...
- Allison said Thanks for the information, Diane. We'll look i...
- Allison said Thanks for the information, Judy. Cheers, Alliso...
- Judith said Chris. are you aware of the Alford American Family...
- Don Hennig said I need the details of how to obtain your book plea...
3 months ago
3 months ago
8 months ago