Clear of the Channel at last, the Duke of York was finally making progress, although conditions were still uncomfortable for the passengers. Captain Morgan reported that the seas were high and that ‘great quantities’ of water continued to swamp the decks. This was bad news for those below, who would have been wet, cold and [...]
Your search for 'Navigation' found:
Posts related to: Navigation
All six ships are making steady progress, sailing south in the Atlantic. The weather is fine and conditions pleasant, but relations on board the John Pirie and the Cygnet are tense. On the John Pirie the and the ship’s carpenter come to blows over a seemingly trivial matter – the supply of nails, but it seems there is a [...]
Both the Duke of York and the John Pirie are now steering south east towards Australia, a novelty they appreciate. Although it brings bad weather and rough conditions, the travellers on the John Pirie also welcome the cooler conditions, after being ‘almost stew’d alive for a Month’. There is an interesting comment here on the trying conditions of everyday life [...]
Sign up for email updates:
View weekly posts by topic
View journal extracts by ship:
View journal extracts by person:
- Pam said I've also been researching these brothers. After...
- Allison said Thanks for the information, Diane. We'll look i...
- Allison said Thanks for the information, Judy. Cheers, Alliso...
- Judith said Chris. are you aware of the Alford American Family...
- Don Hennig said I need the details of how to obtain your book plea...
4 months ago
4 months ago
9 months ago