On 26 March the John Pirie seemed to be making progress, as it finally cleared the English Channel and struck out for the Atlantic Ocean. But just west of the Bay of Biscay the weather worsened dramatically into what one of our informants described as a ‘perfect Hurricane’. All but overwhelmed by ‘a most tremendious Sea’, the little ship was literally [...]
Your search for 'crew and watches' found:
Posts related to: crew and watches
The Duke of York is now in the Southern Ocean, making good progress. It is Captain Morgan’s wife’s birthday and he reflects endearingly on his love for her and his happiness in the married state. On board the Africaine Mary Thomas is not so happy, as she struggles to nurse her sick children in the confined intermediate [...]
On land Things are looking up at the tiny settlement of Kingscote. We start the week with a wedding on board the John Pirie. Mary Ann Powell, who travelled as an emigrant in steerage with her two brothers and sister-in-law, marries one of the Pirie crew – William Staple, who intends to remain in South [...]
Sign up for email updates:
View weekly posts by topic
View journal extracts by ship:
View journal extracts by person:
- Pam said I've also been researching these brothers. After...
- Allison said Thanks for the information, Diane. We'll look i...
- Allison said Thanks for the information, Judy. Cheers, Alliso...
- Judith said Chris. are you aware of the Alford American Family...
- Don Hennig said I need the details of how to obtain your book plea...
4 months ago
4 months ago
9 months ago